The 3rd Integrated Food Ontology Workshop, a hybrid virtual (streamed) and on-site workshop to be held at the Joint Ontology Workshops 2022 event in Jönköping University, Jönköping, Sweden (JOWO, https://www.iaoa.org/jowo/2022/ and https://ju.se/en/collaboration/events-and-conferences/conferences/jowo-2022.html . IFOW workshop details will be available online at . See past IFOW abstracts and presentations here for 2020 and 2021 at JOWO/ICBO in Bolzano Italy.
Academic, agricultural and public health agencies are considering the benefits and complexities of adopting ontology in their research and data management and reporting infrastructure. What vocabulary, tool ecosystem and data models are needed to correlate agricultural treatments, nutritional data, eating patterns, biomarkers, pathogens, and phytochemical levels with disease and health phenotypes? This workshop seeks to define the coverage of the different ecological, agricultural, nutritional, dietary, public health, one health surveillance, food security, and trade domains that food-related ontologies are modelling, and the use of data translation tools for bringing legacy data into the ontology fold.
The workshop will have 3 hybrid (combination physical and virtual) sessions split into presentations of relevant ontologies / projects and their scope, followed by discussion and a break as schedule allows. We encourage people to consider this an opportunity to meet and connect with peers from interrelated disciplines, and to discover the full breadth of ontology research occurring in the food domain. Topics will include:
- Ontology in agriculture and the environment (modelling of crop treatments, field studies, farm practice, biosample testing for nutrient content, and impact of fertilizers, pesticides and toxins)
- Ontology in nutrition and food science, technology, and engineering including food product biotransformation from fungi, and bacteria, and how they are taken in the body through dietary eating patterns, and nutrition, fermentation and metabolomic modelling.
- Ontologies and their applications: How the public and private sector are using food related ontologies in their research and operations: database integration, process analysis, tools for ontology building, quality metrics.
The workshop accepts and values original contributions in English in PDF format. All papers must be original and not submitted to or accepted by any other workshop or conference. All contributions will be peer-reviewed, and the review process will be managed in a collaborative and transparent manner. For 10 minute presentations + discussion:
- Full length research paper (up to 12 pages, excluding bibliography, published in JOWO conference proceedings)
- Early career submission (up to 6 pages, excluding bibliography, published in JOWO conference proceedings)
- Short abstract (2 pages, excluding bibliography, and not included in JOWO conference proceedings)
As well, shorter 2-3 slide “Poster” presentations are accepted: format 5-10 min max including questions. In this hybrid conference we won’t have a poster session per-se. Instead, a short zoom-friendly presentation can introduce your work alongside other session presentations. Either a finished slide deck & presenter notes, or a 2 page textual abstract talking about the presentation would be satisfactory for poster submission.
The IFOW organizing committee has set the following submission deadlines.
- March 20, 2022 – 1st call for papers
May 15June 3 deadline for presentation abstract and paper submission
- July 15 presentation / paper acceptance
- June 30 poster submission
- July 30 poster acceptance
- August 5 paper camera-ready deadline
- August 15+ workshop date
Please make your submission using EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=jowo2022 – select “make a new submission” and then select the “The Integrated Food Ontology Workshop 2022” track. Submission should be in PDF format following the CEUR-WS single column formatting guidelines. Download Latex and MS Word templates here: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-XXX/CEURART.zip. An Overleaf Template is available here: https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/template-for-submissions-to-ceur-workshop-proceedings-ceur-ws-dot-org/wqyfdgftmcfw . See past JOWO CEUR proceedings for 2021 http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2969/ and 2020 http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2708/ .
The 2022 IFOW Organising committee:
- Damion Dooley, Centre for Infectious Disease Genomics and One Health, SFU
- Rhiannon Cameron, Centre for Infectious Disease Genomics and One Health, SFU
- Lauren Chan, Oregon State University
- Duccio Cavalieri, University of Florence
- Robert Warren, Glengarry Agriculture
- Hande McGinty, Ohio University
- Matthew Lange, IC-FOODS
- Fernanda Dorea, Swedish National Veterinary Institute
- Francesco Vitali, Institute of Agricultural Biology and Biotechnology (IBBA)
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.