The 3rd Integrated Food Ontology Workshop, a hybrid virtual (streamed) and on-site workshop to be held at the Joint Ontology Workshops 2022 event in Jönköping University, Jönköping, Sweden (JOWO, https://www.iaoa.org/jowo/2022/ and https://ju.se/en/collaboration/events-and-conferences/conferences/jowo-2022.html .
Academic, agricultural and public health agencies are considering the benefits and complexities of adopting ontology in their research and data management and reporting infrastructure. What vocabulary, tool ecosystem and data models are needed to correlate agricultural treatments, nutritional data, eating patterns, biomarkers, pathogens, and phytochemical levels with disease and health phenotypes? This workshop seeks to define the coverage of the different ecological, agricultural, nutritional, dietary, public health, one health surveillance, food security, and trade domains that food-related ontologies are modelling, and the use of data translation tools for bringing legacy data into the ontology fold.
The workshop will be in two hybrid (combination physical and virtual) parts:
Presentation Sessions Monday Aug 15 CET (GMT+2)
Two presentation and discussion sessions about the development and application of ontologies and open graph databases towards agricultural production, food processing, ingredient and nutritional composition.
11am-12:15 IFOW Presentation and discussion
- Japanese Food Ontology (FGNHNS Alpha, Chihiro Higuchi, Tatsuya Kushida, Shigeru Yatsuzuka, Hideki Hatanaka, Chioko Nagao, Michihiro Araki and Kenji Mizuguchi)
- Progress and prospects for the Compositional Dietary Nutrition Ontology (CDNO, Liliana Andrés-Hernández, Kai Blumberg, Damion Dooley, Magalie Weber, Lauren Chan, Lucia Segovia, Xuhuiqun Zhang, Britt Burton-Freeman, Paul Magelli, Shavawn M. Forester and Graham J. King)
- Linked open data for pesticides (PestOn ontology, Marco Medici, Damion Dooley and Maurizio Canavari)
2pm-3:15 IFOW Presentation and discussion
- Challenges in Ontological Modelling of Ingredient Substitution in Food Recipes (Agnieszka Lawrynowicz, Weronika T. Adrian, Anna Wróblewska, Bartosz Kulczyński and Anna Gramza-Michałowska)
- The Protein Application Ontology (P-PRO, Hannelore Heuer, Sander van Leeuwen and Jan Top)
- The Ontological How and Why – Action and Objective – of Planned Processes in the Food Domain (Damion Dooley and Tarini Naravane)
- Matching Food Items with FoodOn Identifiers in a Knowledge Base (Katherine Thornton, Kenneth Seals-Nutt and Mika Matsuzaki)
IFOW Fermentation Workshop
A few hours of think-tank / white-boarding is planned on the topic of fermentation.
NOTE SCHEDULE UPDATE!!!
Monday Aug 15 CET (GMT+2) 4pm-5pm CET
Tuesday Aug 16
5:45pm-6:45pm CET (GMT+2): IFOW Fermentation Workshop: Alcohol By Volume (ABV) Modelling
- Chair: Robert Warren
- Review of ABV stakeholder communities
- Outline of the technical vs cultural and regulatory challenge
- Technical ABV – measurement points in a process model
- Regulatory aspect
- Ties into cultural norms (France, Canada/Provincial, US States)
- ABV as reported as in literature vs. GS1/Schema.org product group advertising
6:55pm-8:30 IFOW Fermentation Model and Beer Styles
- Chair: Francesco Vitali and Damion Dooley
- Technical Overview (yeast -> enzymatic level analysis)
- Ontologizing Beer Styles: we all call it “beer”!
- Technical: a beer as determined by fermentation process
- Cultural / Jurisdictional beer: layering onto technical hierarchy?
- Where the two views conflict?
- Characteristics of a beer style (e.g. Pilsner: water + light style= technical + historical)
- Next steps: where and how should this ontologically-driven content be presented, and for which audiences?
Submissions are now closed!
- March 20, 2022 – 1st call for papers
May 15June 3 deadline for presentation abstract and paper submission July 15presentation / paper acceptance June 30poster submission July 30poster acceptance (posters already accepted)
- August 5 paper camera-ready deadline
- August 15,16 workshop date
Please make your submission using EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=jowo2022 – select “make a new submission” and then select the “The Integrated Food Ontology Workshop 2022” track. Submission should be in PDF format following the CEUR-WS single column formatting guidelines. Download Latex and MS Word templates here: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-XXX/CEURART.zip. An Overleaf Template is available here: https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/template-for-submissions-to-ceur-workshop-proceedings-ceur-ws-dot-org/wqyfdgftmcfw . See past JOWO CEUR proceedings for 2021 http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2969/ and 2020 http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2708/ .
The 2022 IFOW Organizing committee:
- Damion Dooley, Centre for Infectious Disease Genomics and One Health, SFU
- Rhiannon Cameron, Centre for Infectious Disease Genomics and One Health, SFU
- Lauren Chan, Oregon State University
- Duccio Cavalieri, University of Florence
- Robert Warren, Glengarry Agriculture
- Hande McGinty, Ohio University
- Matthew Lange, IC-FOODS
- Fernanda Dorea, Swedish National Veterinary Institute
- Francesco Vitali, Institute of Agricultural Biology and Biotechnology (IBBA)
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Past IFOW abstracts and presentations for 2020 and 2021 at JOWO/ICBO in Bolzano Italy are available here.